We have had several doctor's appointments since the last time I posted. Unfortunately I found out that I have gestational diabetes, which is diabetes that you only have when you are pregnant and goes away when the baby is born. The way I understand it, the hormones that the placenta creates interfere with my insulin production which is what regulates blood sugar. My body isn't able to produce enough insulin to regulate my blood sugar so I have to eat foods that won't make my blood sugar go up. I have to test my blood sugar 4 times per day and eat a low carbohydrate diet to maintain normal blood sugar.
Given this news, I now have to go to the doctor every week for close monitoring. Once I get to 36 weeks (I'm 31 weeks now) I have to go twice per week. There are some complications that can go along with gestaional diabetes so they are watching me very closely. The good news is that if you maintain your blood sugar and it is within the limits they set (which I've been doing so far) then there is a low risk of complications. They just want to see me weekly to be extra careful. Keep praying that I don't get sick of eating eggs and meat!!
My 10 year journey with lupus
9 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment